Monday 26 July 2010

Once bitten forever smitten - Perfect Buttercream

I am often asked how do I make perfect buttercream - well its partly about ingredients and its partly technique - before I give you a few professional tips here are some really mouthwatering pictures of Buttercream Cupcakes


You can see more cakes on the website www.weddingdelicakes.co.uk and you can email me with any cake queries you might have.

Perfect Butteream needs soft unsalted butter- I like Lurpak as it has a finer flavour but President is also good - beat until it is aerated and whiter than when you started, its best to use an electric mixer for this. When you add the icing sugar make sure it is very dry and you have sifted out any lumps - I like to stir  mine in first- as it saves covering the kitchen in icing sugar -  then beat it for a good 3 minutes with an electric mixer. Beat in vanilla to taste and hey presto you will have perfect buttercream ready for filling or icing a cake.
In the winter months when its colder you can add a tablespoon of milk per 100g of butter to loosen the mixture so it spreads or pipes more easily.

No comments: